Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Perspective

It has been way too long since I've blogged and a friend so nicely reminded me. I was specifically asked to blog my thoughts about Tyler Perry's movie For Colored Girls. I must preface my thoughts however with the fact that I have never read the book nor have I seen the play. I think this is important to say because this movie based on, from what I understand, the play.

I think we all can agree that this movie touched all kinds of emotions, some of which I wasn't quite expecting, namely the male bashing part. I guess going to the movie knowing that it was about the pain of women and hearing an interview with Tyler stating that he had to add men to the script to make it a story, somewhat prepared me. Despite the criticism from many people (I even heard one young lady state that after seeing the movie she felt like she should go home and slit her wrist), I thought the movie was well put together and the acting was great (from the majority of the cast ESPECIALLY Kimberly Elise). Yes, I cried. But for me, I didn't go home sad, it was quite the opposite. I was strengthened and empowered. I saw how the strength of sisterhood holds us together. I witnessed how important it is for the generation ahead to reach back and grab us even when we fight against it. I saw the power of forgiveness. I was glad to say that in my life I've been surrounded by great women who could speak great things into my life. But most importantly, I was grateful; grateful that the challenges and trails that I have had did not overtake me. They haven't defined me. It reminded me of the poem by the great Dr. Maya Angelo...STILL I RISE.

"Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise."

Still I can see how others could have a different view. Some I believe are losing the fact that this movie is based upon a story that someone else wrote. Some are just tired of the negative view of black men or people. I get that. But for me it isn't what spoke the loudest. It wasn't MY truth. So this movie, as with anything else, brings out perspectives....what's yours?

1 comment:

  1. Great perspective & great read homie...Definitely believe Tyler Perry's intent was to empower women in this film. Someone left an interesting comment on my post regarding Tyler Perry films. Check it out. #1st

    ReplyDelete