Monday, November 16, 2009

Dear Chris,

We are being inundated with interviews, videos, etc and it really has become sickening. As many of you know I love music and can usually separate the music from the person but this situation seems to be irritating the heck out of me and here's why?

I know that both of them are young and prayerfully have a long life ahead of them. I also know that they have a career to think about but I often wonder if anyone in either of their camps sat them down and told them to think about the bigger picture. Unfortunately the bigger picture is not their career, being a spokesperson for domestic violence, donating money, being a role model for others, or even moving on (I'll explain this one later). It is so much more important that they gain more knowledge about themselves, their behaviors and learn how to love themselves. All of thee above takes time; time that neither have spent. Instead it appears that the only time they have spent is strategically planning how they were going to repair their celebrity status and/or image. It saddens me to think (and I really hope I'm wrong) that people care more about the dollar than they do about life lessons. Better yet, it saddens me to think that people no longer care about character. I guess that is how it is though when you are surrounded by people who depend on your career to put food in their mouths. But in my opinion, it speaks volume to even their character.

So often during this media frenzy over Chris Brown and Rhianna I have wished that I could have offered Chris some advice. Since I know that will never happen I figured I could write my blog and at least get it off of my chest (sort of speak).

That brings me to this, what I would have said:

It is hard to listen to all of these interviews because you know that part of it is scripted and made with one goal in mind: to salvage your career. So while it may be good to hear that you are sorry and are doing things to make sure that it doesn't happen again, filtering the truth is hard. Only you and God truly know if that is really the case. Nevertheless, the forgiveness of your fans shouldn't be what you are seeking right now and your priorities are mixed up. There are times in life that we are issued a second chance and when we are we have to make sure that we do right by them. It is NEVER enough to just get passed an incident we are required to do more --like making sure we learn from them. This takes time and attention; attention that may cause you to be away from things and people that you may love and care about. Money can come and go but character...character stands the test of time and is always more important than the last. I realize that others may care about you but their caring apparently isn't greater than the need to take care of "their needs". To sum it all up, it can only a testimony after the test has been passed.

Anyhow, that's my take on whole thing and now I can bury it. I wish the both of them love and healing. Even though they've chosen a different way of doing it, for whatever reasons right or wrong, I hope that they don't let the second chance be a failure.

Agape never fails, have you shown it today?

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!! VALID POINTS AND SUGGESTIONS.. I LOVED IT…. THANKS FOR THE GOOD READING….

    I REALLY DON’T KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT THE SITUATION BECAUSE I FEEL BAD FOR BOTH OF THEM. THEY BOTH NEED TIME TO UNDERSTAND THE LESSONS THAT COULD BE LEARNED IN THIS… BUT AT THIS TIME – YOU ARE RIGHT (THE FOCUS IS ONLY ON THEIR CAREERS AND NOT THEM AS PEOPLE- A YOUNG MAN AND A YOUNG WOMAN) THEY BOTH GREW UP WITH THIS SAME TYPE OF ABUSE WHICH MAYBE THEY THEMSELVES WERE NEVER ABLE TO REALLY DEAL WITH AND IT FINALLY CAME OUT BUT AS NEITHER OF THEM EXPECTED –THEY BOTH BECAME VICTIMS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I PERSONALLY LOVE CHRIS BROWN! I WILL BE ATTENDING HIS CONCERT NOV. 25th. I believe that the problem with our society is that we tend to put personal matters over jobs...as an entertainer their personal lives often interfere with their careers which can be a good and a bad thing.

    We're all human we make mistakes. But we weren't in that car we don't know the ENTIRE story...but from what RiRi was saying...MORE happened and this could have been prevented if both parties would have gotten help earlier.

    Love is Blind...(I should know)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. both are young and I think that (and I pray) that this will never happen again. As you stated, no one but him and God know if he truly is sorry for what he has done. And in the end God is the judge. Now, because we know how society is and they like to play God, I believe that he needs to chill, do his album and just keep his feelings about Rhianna to a mininum. Same for her. She needs to chill also. I know it sounds mean, but that is why it is best to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I stand in a different light having watched 5 brothers and sisters, 2 children, numerous nieces and nephews, and now 2 grandchildren grow up. It seems that we live in a society that, over the years has become less tolerant of people making mistakes. As a result we have, in my opinion, a lot of young people choosing to "stand on the sidelines". Watching others attempt to live their lives as the producers of 24 hr "news" cycles exploit the mistakes of young people who are doing the best that they can, in very difficult times.
    Once upon a time it seemed that, if a child went into a store and picked something up, his parents could march them back to the store, return the merchandise, apologize to the store owner and a lesson was learned. Nowadays he must "pay". If law enforcement and courts are not involved, its no longer sufficient. As a result we've had a swelling of the jails (mandatory sentencing, three strikes you're out, zero tolerance), as there is no room for mistakes. We locked up more kids during the 80"s and 90's, while violent crime dropped significantly.
    We only know how to give, what we have received. Until you have "walked a mile in someone shoes", its impossible to understand them or their reactions. I would never condone violence against "anyone", but we don't know what happened in that car, or what has transpired amongst them since.
    I think these young people would both benefit from allowing this situation to be put behind them, I have no doubt that they will benefit from whatever is available to help them do so. I have no doubt that both their parents are proud to have kids that are "in the game" (it's easy to keep your uniform clean when you're on the sidelines watching).
    Agape is great, if you can get it, but sometimes we have to settle for a little phillia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. High-five Randolph!!!!!

    ReplyDelete